April 7, 2014

Cududua - Italian Easter Cookies

These cookies were a Sicilian tradition in my family while I was growing up. My grandmother, a Sicilian native, made these cookies faithfully every Easter. Cadudua,  reminds me of her every year. She was the best Sicilian cook I've known in my lifetime and am lucky I got to watch and learn as I was a child, how to cook some great Italian food. You can alter this recipe to your liking. My grandmother would frost them with the basic Italian cookie icing and colored non-pariels and used white, hard-boiled eggs.


6 eggs (well beaten)
1/2 pound butter, softened (or melted, then cooled)
1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar (you can cut this down to your likingsugar)
2 Tbs. Baking Powder
2 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
Touch of Cinnamon
4 1/2 cups of sifted flour
White or Easter-colored, hard-boiled eggs

  1. Heat oven to 375
  2. Beat eggs until yellow and frothy
  3. Add touch of cinnamon, vanilla and sugar, a little at a time; mix until sugar is dissolved or just about dissolved
  4. Add butter and mix well
  5. Followed by adding flour and baking powder and mixing intermittently Add enough flour so that soft but not sticky (may have to add more than recipe calls for or less)
  6. Let dough rest for an hour in refrigerator or on table - can be room temp  Take piece of dough, about the size of a small handful and roll with your hands on flowered surface into round rope-like cylinder while leaving the center thicker
  7. Press center down with heel of your hand. this is for the egg
  8. Place on cookie sheet, then put hard-boiled egg in that spot.
  9. Place two small strips of dough (like a cross) on top of egg to hold it to the cookie
  10. Pinch the top of the dough and slit the tips for decoration
  11. My grandmother would braid them acrossthe top of the egg
  12. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes until light golden
  13. Remove from oven and cool; frost with frosting and sprinkle with colored non-pariels

You can make any design you want on the cookie - Buona Pasqua!



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lenny. I am thrilled to find your blog post. I've been a little obsessed with these cookies in all their names, flavors, and shapes. I've been researching them across the internet. My Sicilian grandmother made these as did my mother. I grew up in Framingham so we have Boston in common as well as Sicilian heritage. What part of Sicily is your family from? Salemi in Trapani for my grandparents. By the way I've seen these cookies under multiple names but cududua is closest to what I remember.

    ReplyDelete